Sunday, March 8, 2009

What am I worth?



Maybe it's the cold grey skies, or the tax guy telling me I'm not worth anything, or that small voice that sometimes tells me the lie that if I stay at home with my children and don't earn money... somehow my worth is less. It's popular to be labeled by what you're "worth"... especially when you're preparing the taxes.

I'm past 40 and this often brings me to reflect on how I'm doing in my life. So what am I worth? I stay at home with my 3 kids, I teach them basics of life and their education comes from me. How does that add up to worth?


I can't imagine a better job, I can imagine better pay! These days are paid in wet, sloppy kisses, millions of drawings of castles and pirates, a warm, small hand slipped in mine, nature walks, complete exposure to real life and a dose of bodialy function jokes. It's pretty good pay till the tax forms need to be filled out.

I'm worth more than my "bottom line", thank God for that. I am investing in my children's future. I'm giving quality and quantity time. I can see the light in their eyes as they finally understand a concept and I was part of that. I teach them about nature, it's benefits, to respect it and all the lessons it holds for all who take time to look. I am the stable, foundational force that my family grows on... I am worth... alot.

It may seem elementary but ... somedays moms who stay at home .. we forget what we are worth ... so I'm taking time out from a mid life crisis to remind myself. My children's lives, my husband's life would be completely different (and I think lacking) with out me.. that's my worth.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. And I am over 40 too, but I won't tell you how much.

    ReplyDelete