Sunday, March 8, 2009

Never Leave Nails Unsupervised

When I was busy using the chop saw to cut the rotten parts out of my pile of old barn wood, my sons and some neighbour hood friends... became inspired and ... well... carpentry broke out. I gave them our two hammers and a handful of nails and went back to work. That's where I went wrong. I was feeling so good about the fact that they were conducting their own shop class in the summer, and they were being creative ... industrious ... physical ... and nothing electric was involved. Right proud of my kids.
I went inside ... the boys kept working... hours later while cleaning the bathroom I realized I STILL heard hammers pounding and the math clicked in.... I didn't give them THAT many nails.
Apparently .. they took note of where I got the nails from and helped themselves to more....

Now we have a raft that would do well to stay away from magnets. There are upwards of ten nails in each board in someplaces. Many of the nails don't even attach one board to another... there are 3 different species of nails and even one attempt to nail in a screw.

BUT ... if there was ever a flood my son has assured me.. "we'll be safe".
Posted by JungleGirl at 3:25 PM

3 comments:

  1. I remember when our kids were young, the oldest 7 and they found the scrap lumber and nails and spent 3 days building forts in the back yard. My hubby wasn't very happy when he came home for the weekend from his job away. Those half built structures remained for a few weeks and he spent about 3 hours taking out nails one weekend. But the kids had fun and learnt how to solve problems and I had some free time for a few days. It was a great home school week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least there were no hammer to finger injuries, which is what I expected when I started reading. sounds like a fun day had by your kids and the neighborhood friend!!!

    Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like they had fun anyway. Even though they used to many nails, that's great that they were so into it, that they were still doing it hours later.

    ReplyDelete