Saturday, March 7, 2009

At Home: Everyone is learning.



Our journey in Home Education has been one of many changes, many tears, many laughs and many discoveries. I wouldn't change it for anything. Somedays I feel like we're "Swiss Family Robinson" and we have to re-invent everything. Somedays I feel like we're at the zoo and everyone is a little wild, and waiting to be fed. Somedays I'm sure I've birthed the next Einstien and someday the world will thank me. Most days, I'm just mom .. the one everyone needs in order to function. Somedays... I want to change my name to Dad ... since he doesn't get interupted as often.

The amazing thing is that I am the one who has learned so much. Oh, they learn too but I have learned to develop my own character and education as I've prepped and taught my kids. The light of understanding is not just for those who require the knowledge to prepare them for life, but it is also for us who... realize education never was about the teacher... it's about taking responsiblity to love the process of learning. Education never ends.

Recently my son asked "what do beggers do with our arms? Who wants a bloody stump?" I felt that strange buzzing in my head when I'm really trying to get on the same frequency as this child's thinking ... but no .. nothing. Somewhere I'd lost the connection.

"What ARE we talking about?"

"You know, what do they do with the arms? When they say 'Arms for the poor'?"

ohhhhhh

This was followed by a discussion about a new part of his vocabulary; alms.

When did I have the time to wonder?
When did I sit in silence and consider such weighty matters?

There is nothing like a child to open our world to new horizions...
these are the days of learning
these are the days when I realize my educaiton lacked
at no fault of my teachers
for my teachers are my children
my husband
my trials
my garden
my life at home.

3 comments:

  1. So true, and each day is a different and new day, I never know what is going to happen or what I am going to learn from them! Could I change my name to dad? cause some days that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you can relate... that means I'm not the only "Dad" out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the arms. Great first post. Does Janet know you are blogging?

    ReplyDelete